Bren

Bren
yup, that's me

Monday, January 31, 2011

...unto Caesar

“Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s, and unto God the things that are God’s” (Matthew 22:21 NIV)
This scripture is often quoted incomplete. -In an attempt to set Christ up to be turned over to Pilate the Pharisees asked if it were lawful for a Jew to pay tax to Caesar. Prior to the above quote the Lord asked to see a coin suitable for paying the tax. The coin of that time had an image of Caesar and was in-scripted much as our own "In God We Trust" however, that coin claimed Caesar's father Augustus to be a god. The question was a trap and Christ knew it hence His intentionally ambiguous response.


The scripture states -Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.
(2 Timothy 2:15 New American Standard). The scripture throughout the ages has been interpreted to justify individual agendas. It is our calling to study it with an open heart and mind. To learn about the audience and cultures of the time in which any scripture was written about.


Should we pay taxes? of course -See Romans 13:1-7. I firmly believe in the taxation of the people in order to fund the running of our Government... not for the funding of charity.
We are to obey the law of the land for there is no authority that God did not establish. Unless a law is created that is against the Laws of God then I must obey. However, I don't feel the Government should be footing the bill to care for
"the least of these."
It is the government's job to provide infrastructure such as roads. It is the government's job to make money and establish laws for trade so that our economy can flourish. (expounding on that to the simplest 6 functions - to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity.)


I look at the Social Security program and feel it is a dismal failure. I do not feel that money I have paid in to it -required of me to do so- will be there when I need it. Personally, it is not my belief that I should be putting my trust in a Program for my security... That trust and faith for my security I give to the Lord. I set aside funds for my future doing my best to be a good steward of what I have been blessed with.


I believe an omniscient God quite possibly called upon believers to minister to "the least of these" for more than loving your neighbor as yourself. Being all knowing has the vantage point of seeing what leaving charity (ministering and caring by what means necessary, be it clothe them, feed them, care for them if they are sick, give them shelter when homeless etc) up to the government will turn into. The taxing of the people to fund such charity by the government IMHO -is forced "giving" and leaves it in the hands of an entity that I sincerely doubt the Constitution intended. While "Promoting the General Welfare" of the people is a multitudinous role and of course is open for members of said Government to interpret and adapt as they see fit... I'd much quicker see the FDA or FEMA as acceptable forms of promoting our general welfare than a tax to fund a program for my future security.


Of course there are men (and women) in religious positions that take advantage. To whom much is given much is required. While we are all going to be held accountable for what we know - a "Man of God" Shepherd, Minister etc... will be held accountable for their mishandling of the position while in charge of the flock and/or in service to the Lord.
In my humble opinion, stepping up and being more than-
"faithful tither-what God requires" and bringing-
"offerings -freely given for the work of God"
and remembering there is also the giving of-
"ALMS-Money, goods purchased or time offered that you decide to give to help the poor and needy" .............To love thy neighbor, is not just a feel good thing but just happens to be a biblical principal that could bring unity to our Nation regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation or political/spiritual beliefs.


-and hey, for those outside of Christianity or any other spiritual beliefs we could go with the positive side of the theory of reciprocity- responding to a positive action with another positive action. If you're not fond of theories call it establishing and cultivating an altruistic care and concern for your countrymen!


-Then the Government can go about doing what it should be doing.


lastly- .... a wise woman said to my son "there are 3 uses for money young man -spend some, save some, give some away" rather simplistic but one supports the economy, one saves for your security and one is a charitable act.

No comments:

Post a Comment